Friday, August 17, 2012

Guest Bedroom Redo

I'm taking a break from wedding shenanigans to post about my finally finished summer project.  I decided that we needed to do something about our guest bedroom, especially after we sprang a leak in the roof.  The ceiling and wall around the one of the windows was looking pretty rough after the repair, so it had to be painted...and if I was going to go so far as to pick out paint colors, might as well just pick out everything else, right?  And by "pick out", I mean reuse some items I already had and head down to the flea market to see what I could find for cheap.  I did purchase a few new pieces from Ikea and etsy, but the majority of what's in the room were things we already had in our possession.

Here's the finished room:





Here's what's in it:
  • Barn windows: Bought about 3 years ago at an antique show for $30.  My dad added the shelves to the bottom of each window for me.  Then I cleaned them up, and painted and distressed them for a shabby chic look.
  • White vases: Bought from Target several years ago...I just thought they were pretty!
  • Chandelier: Purchased from Ikea for $39.99.
  • Lamps: Already had them, but they were black...and Jeff's, but he agreed to let me spray paint them bright yellow.  He's awesome like that :)
  • Lampshades: Purchased from Walmart, $14.97 each.
  • Curtain rods & drapes: Rods bought on clearance from Target and spray painted to match lamps.  The drapes are from Ikea.  Both were bought about 3 years ago, I think.  I don't remember how much they cost, but I was pretty poor, so they couldn't have been that expensive.
  • Wooden DREAM letters: Got these at Michael's.  Over the years, they've been 3 different colors--purple in my first tiny apartment in Virginia, then silver in my second apartment, and now yellow.
  • Throw pillows: Inserts from Ikea for $7.00 each, and pillowcases from etsy for $35.
  • Duvet cover & shams: Bought at Ikea for $60.
  • B&W photos: These are the two best photos I shot for my photo class in college.  I developed the negatives and made the prints myself in the darkroom.  Best college class ever!
  • Night stands: Purchased from a flea market for $60 and painted using Benjamin Moore's enamel paint in Snowbound; chevron stripe done in Proper Gray, and new pulls from Target for $10.
  • Frames: All from the flea market for 50 cents to $3.00 each...all together probably about $8.50.
Grand Total: Somewhere in the neighborhood of $350-$400 after adding in the cost of paint!  Not bad at all!

I'd like to find a couple of yellow accents to add to the shelves, but other than that--this room is DONE.  If you come stay with us, you'll definitely have the best room in the house :)

No comments:

Post a Comment